Thursday, January 20, 2011

DIY - Aerobar Computer Mount

I recently installed some aerobars on my indoor trainer, but the problem is that when I am down on the pads I could not see the computer that is mounted on the stem. My desire was to move it out to a spot that I could see.

I could have just ordered a mount, but when I started looking at the options I was not that impressed for the cost of purchase and shipping. The review for the mount that looked the best had a low review score and as a designer by trade it did not look like it was made to be durable and the review reflected my thoughts.

The following was my do it yourself solution and the cost was $1.27 for a 3/4" x 24 PVC pipe that I purchased at Home Depot. The tools used were a miter saw, drill press with a clamp, files, sand paper and black paint. Minus the paint drying time this was about a thirty minute project.

As shown without the zip ties the bar is tight and is good for indoor training, but for outdoor use the zip ties will be needed.
A quick sketch of what I wanted to achieve and then I am ready to start

1. Measure


2. Cut to Length
3. Cut with a hole saw, drill press and clamp (a round file can be used instead of the drill press)
4. It seems to fit

Finished
Made 5/20/2012 For Felt B10

Here is another method for a cheap DIY Aerobar Garmin Edge computer mount

Basically this is just a flat piece of plastic with holes drilled and zip ties. I had the material already, but this is another very low cost method and can be used if the round PVC interferes with other mounts. In my case the PVC did not work well with the bottle mount.




Update: I have recently upgraded to a purchased Garmin mount on the Speedfil Z4 bottle cage.
 
Here is the blog entry for the Speedfil Z4 mount and a picture below
 
There are more pictures on the blog entry.
 
 
 
 
 


2 comments:

Tyler said...

Thanks for this man. I did it and it works great. I think it looks pretty good too!

The Cycling Addiction said...

Thanks for the feedback Tyler. I am glad to hear it will work out for you.